There is no salary cap on EPL teams. This means that with the biggest cheque book they can buy the best players. How is it then that Leicester City were able to win the 2015/16 championship. A team that was on the point of relegation the previous year wins the following year beating much better financed opponents.
What makes a championship team? In my experience it is more than just people getting on well together. There are a few things that need to happen to get the result.
- everyone has to know what the objective is and everyone is committed to achieving it
- everyone has to know what their role is and what everyone else’s roles are
- everyone needs to trust everyone else enough to let them do their job
- everyone supports each other in their efforts
- no individual is bigger than the team
How many of these get a tick in your team?